Monday, January 15, 2007

Welcome!

I now have a knitting blog! This is new for me, and I'm not sure if I'm going to stick with knit/crochet projects, or if I'm going to talk about all of my crafty endeavors here. Probably the latter, but as I knit most often, I can still refer to this as a knitting blog!

About me: I'm a graduate student at Marshall University, where I'm working on my thesis in the field of developmental genetics. I live with my boyfriend and two psychotic cats, Posey and Penny. In my free time, I knit....and knit...and knit. I guess I would still be considered a "beginner", but I'm not afraid to try new stuff, so I guess I'll be more advanced in no time. I've been crocheting for years, but I just taught myself to knit about 1.5 years ago. I bought one of those silly "Knit This!" kits from Target (for a pair of legwarmers), which had a DVD included. I also bought one of those "Teach Yourself Knitting!" kits at A.C. Moore. After an hour or so of throwing my needles at the television, I went to Knitting Help, where the lovely Amy Finlay guided me towards becoming a knitter (her videos are awesome, if you are looking to learn). By the end of the day, I was knitting a very odd looking piece of material, and by the end of the week, I had conquered stockinette stitch! Now, I have conquered knitting in the round, DPN's, cables, shaping, and many other fun techniques.

I must say that knitting has replaced crochet for me. I don't crochet nearly as often as I did pre-knitting. I am, however, planning on crocheting granny squares to make an afghan. This is purely for stash-busting purposes. My yarn stash has grown to epic proportions. A lot of it is acrylic that I bought when I was learning, but some of it is very nice stuff. I'm picturing a huge blanket with squares and squares of different colors and textures. It will be funky and "eclectic", but that is me in a nutshell.

On the needles right now is a baby sweater for the bf's new baby cousin, who is due to pop out sometime in late March. I am also making a hat and booties to match. Meanwhile, I will also be making a similar set for my cousin's baby, who is also due in March. Luckily, one is a boy and one is a girl, so I got to buy blue and pink yarn! Pictures to follow in my next entry.

Well, that is me in a nutshell. I hope that I eventually get regular subscribers to this blog. Although I'm sure that is a bit of a way off, I think that as my skills increase, and I start designing my own projects (which is very soon, I think), my readership will grow.

No comments: