Saturday, April 14, 2007

Oh, Baby!


I'm knitting baby sets! My cousin, Becky and my SO's aunt and uncle, Chimi and John, are having babies! Becky is having a girl and Chimi is having a boy. So, fun for me, I get to knit both blue and pink. I've never knit for babies before, so I'm going with the basic blue/pink this time around. Perhaps when the babies are a little older, I'll get creative with the colors.

This sweater was knit using two strands of a baby yarn (fingering/sport weight) held together, on size 10.5 straight needles. The back is a basic rectangle and the front is two rectangles, each half the size of the back. Again, the sleeves are just rectangles that are slightly larger than the front panels. I do very much like the white stripe on both of the sleeves.

As I have no idea how large a baby actually is, I sort of went off of patterns for this sweater. I just looked at different baby sweater patterns, and I looked at baby sweaters at the stores for size comparison. I think this sweater will fit a newborn up to about 6 months. Who knows, though? I know it will definitely fit a baby of some size :)

So, since this is actually my first FO post, I guess you may have figured out that I'm not a very precise knitter. Actually, I am when I'm following a pattern, but when I'm not, I just make sure the sizes are close. For an adult, this could turn into a catastrophe, but for baby knitting, I guess it is ok.

Next up on the needles is a baby hat to match this sweater. Then I will make booties also to match. This (along with a similar set in pink) has to be done by March, so I think I'm ok. Also, I would like to find some time to finish my first ever sock, which is currently sitting in my knitting basket with a bit of a heel flap just hanging there. I'm sure I'll work a little more on that tonight, and then I can post some pictures.

Speaking of my first ever sock, have you heard of the Yarn Harlot? Her book, Knitting Rules!, is amazing. I never had the urge to knit socks until I read it. I thought I was a bad knitter or something, but the Yarn Harlot made me see the light.

Speaking of Inspirational knitters, Glampyre knits maven Stefanie Japel is my hero. Her designs are so beautiful. She has a book coming out soon called "Fitted Knitting", and I think it will be a smash. It is available for pre-order on Amazon now.

No comments: