Saturday, April 14, 2007

Books and hats and gloves, Oh My!

I've been busy:


My new books came from Amazon today. I got: Naughty Needles by: Nikol Lohr. This is a very cute book to have in my library. Even if I don't make anything from it (which I will, I think), it is very nI'ice. I like this one better than Sexy Little Knits because everything in that book is made for little waifs. Which I am not.

Domiknitrix: Whip your knitting into shape by: Jennifer Stafford. This book is just gorgeous. There are some great patterns, and some more advanced techniques outlined, unlike most other books that only cover the basics. I hate to be a vain knitter, but damn, this book just looks good. From the pleather binding to the gloriously un-glossy pages, I just adore flipping through this book. Isn't that what knitting books are all about, anyway?


Anyway, the only complaint I have about this book is that the final pattern, "Elfin Bride + Gothlet" isn't actually in the book. You have to email her and then she will email you when it is available (it isn't yet). In the book she says it is because of "time and space constraints". I assume that meant the pattern wasn't ready yet. The sweater itself is alright looking. She claims that if you attempt and finish this pattern, "you've demonstrated mastery of this craft." Which just rubs me the wrong way. I think it presumptious to assume that your pattern is the do-all end-all of difficult knitting. And it doesn't even look that difficult. Of course, that is coming from me, so whatever.

Oh, I almost forgot the last book: The Knitter's handy book of sweater patterns, which is really just more of a construction book. I was just looking for something that was going to explain how different kinds of sweaters were put together so I can start designing. We'll see though. I wish I had gotten an EZ book instead.

In other news, I finished the hat to go with the baby sweater. It is very cute and looks good with the sweater. It is seen to the right, modeled by Perfect Baby Computer.


And, finally, you will notice the current issue of Knit It! and Knitscene (yay Knitscene -- I'm still under the impression that this magazine should automatically be included with my IK subscription, but oh well). I really like the tank on the cover of the Knit It!, but not in the colors shown.

Keep Knitting!

Kristy

No comments: